Genealogical Research Materials located at the Historical Society A partial listing of materials located in the Research Room. Contributed by Freddy Brown Burial & Death Records, Census, Church, Family Histories, Legal Records, Local Interest, Magazines & Papers, Marriages, Misc., War Records, Wills
A Rosenwald School One 36′ by 23′ schoolhouse is a part of Scottsville Allen County’s black history. The site was the center for the community of African Americans in this area of Scottsville. Booker T. Washington joined Julius Rosenwald to build almost 5000 all-black Rosenwald schools just like this in the early 1900s. These schools became known for their advanced blueprints, and floor plans. It was a set design plan to produce facilities that would improve education within the African American population. The schoolhouse is one of the national treasures of Allen County. The Allen County, Kentucky African American Heritage Council has preserved the building from deterioration. This building is one of only a few hundred Rosenwald schools left standing.
Dugas Park provides nature and hiking trails, an outdoor amphitheatre, playgrounds and more. It is the historical site of Dumont Hill.
Discover the home of the late Dr. Francis Joseph (“F.J.”) Halcomb, Jr. and his wife, Mariola Shrewsbury Halcomb, two members of the Scottsville-Allen County community. Loaded with history, the Halcomb House now serves as a time capsule to the history of Scottsville and modern medicine. The Halcomb House Foundation is excited to share this piece of history with you for education, enrichment and enjoyment opportunities! Allow the Halcomb house to be the next venue for a day trip with learning objectives revolving around Allen County history and historical practice of medicine
The Main Street movement has proven that downtowns are the heart of our communities, and that a community is only as strong as its core. As a Main Street program, our core mission is to improve economic vitality and sustainability within Historic Downtown Scottsville. Our vision is a thriving, active Historic District that serves as the cultural, economic, and entertainment center of Scottsville.
A historic landmark, in the early days the Public Spring was the all important center of activity. It's refreshing cold water flowing steadily from the base of a steep hill, surrounded by large oak and elm trees.
Built in 1886 and closed in 1975 when the rail line was abandoned by the L & N, the Scottsville Train Depot served as a passenger and a freight station for almost 90 years. The depot stands today as the primary surviving reminder of the days when rail service meant everything to the citizens of Scottsville and Allen County, Kentucky. Plans are under way to renovate this important building. Grants are being sought, as well as local and regional contributions to help restore the Scottsville Train Depot to its former glory.
In 1939, a business began in Scottsville with two investors each contributing $5,000. These investors were J.L. Turner and Cal Turner, Sr. This investment converted Turner Bargain Stores into J.L. Turner and Son Wholesale Company. More stores were opened in the region and in 1955, one of the stores was converted into the first Dollar General Store. Today, the Dollar General Corporation owns over 12,500 stores across the country, selling hundreds of name brand products, as well as their own brands. Though the company’s headquarters is not located in Allen County, it is amazing to think that this nationwide corporation was founded in Scottsville, Kentucky, in the heart of Allen County.